Monday, June 28, 2010

July Pastor's Letter

Dear Friends,

Greetings to you in the Name of Jesus Christ!

“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” John 20:21

I am not sure what this next week will be like. I have never gone on a trip like this one. I am not certain what I will find as I join a group of four other men to go fishing in Canada. I must admit I am excited! I am excited about having some time with my son and some good friends. I am excited about seeing the beauty of that part of the world. I am excited about coming home with some great fish and or fish stories. But – having never been to this lake with this group before I do wonder – how will it go?

Looking to the future can be difficult to do. The followers of Jesus who were gathered in that room with the doors and windows all closed were not too sure about anything – and that includes the future. They had just gone through the most difficult week in their lives – Jesus being arrested, Judas betraying Jesus, Jesus sharing the last meal with them calling them to be servants, and then seeing Jesus die on the cross. What were they to make of all that they had seen and heard with Jesus over the last year and certainly over the last week.

But did you notice what happened? “Peace be with you.” What? How can that be? Their world had been turned upside down – peace. Yet that is just what Jesus brought them and brings us. “Peace be with you.”  It was about a year ago that we gathered in a room (parish hall) wondering about the future and what God was calling us to do at Atonement. But even though we had our questions, look how God has blessed us with peace as we have moved forward into mission together. Remember what Jesus said to his followers, “As the Father has sent me so I send you”. Yes we are sent! Sent into the neighborhoods around Atonement to BE THE PEOPLE OF GOD who are not afraid but rather filled with the PEACE OF CHRIST!

I remember that worship services used to end with these words – “Now the peace of God which passes all human understanding keep your hearts and minds in CHRIST JESUS”. The followers of Jesus did not stay in that room and we at Atonement have not stayed in the parish hall. We have been sent to BE THE CHURCH – TO BRING THIS REMARKABLE GIFT OF PEACE TO THE WORLD.  I am not sure how it will all work out but I do know that the Prince of Peace – Jesus Christ) is leading the way! Praise God!

In Christ,

Pastor Jim (P.J.)
(P.S. .Ask me about my fishing trip!)